Jollof rice and chicken
- portions fruit & veg
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion (170g), chopped
- 350g skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 1 large red pepper (170g), chopped
- 1 large yellow pepper (170g), chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- ½ -1 Scotch bonnet chilli, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 250g basmati rice, rinsed under cold water.
- 1 reduced salt chicken stock cube dissolved in 450 ml water
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 100g okra, chopped into 2cm pieces
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped coriander
- Heat the oil in a large pan then add the onion and cook 3-4 minutes until starting to brown.
- Add the chicken chunks and cook a further 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly to make sure the chicken cooks evenly.
- Add the red and yellow peppers and stir another 2 minutes then add the garlic, ginger, chili and tomato purée and mix well.
- Now add the rice and mix again, stirring for a minute to coat all the rice with the tomato purée mixture.
- Add the stock and tomatoes and mix well, bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Scatter the okra on top of the rice, replace the lid and simmer a further 5 minutes.
- Now turn off the heat but don’t remove the lid and leave to stand for 5 minutes. Add the coriander, mix well and serve.